We’ve all seen cork projects scattered over Pinterest, and this one is no exception. My post, however, will help you avoid the crapsmanship that I used for my first monogram — an R that sits above my refrigerator. (I know, the photo’s too dark. I’ve got to learn how to take better pix!) CRAP ALERT: I made two easily avoidable errors. First I used one black cork. It just looks like a blank space, right? Don’t use a black cork; you’ll be sorry!
My second error was to use a glue gun. Besides causing the inevitable burn to my fingers, the glue was unforgiving. I couldn’t tweak the position of the cork after I’d placed it on my letter. In addition, the corks easily popped off with just a little nudge. I needed an adhesive that was a little more flexible and durable.
My friend Carol asked me to make a cork monogram for her — a Z this time. I used WeldBond More Than Great Glue. It’s similar to Elmer’s only thicker, and it dries clear. Because it dries slowly, I had more time to adjust the position of each cork.
I started by dry fitting some corks on each end of the Z.
Once I was happy with the position, I spread glue over a large area and smoothed it with my finger. CRAP ALERT: This technique didn’t work; there wasn’t enough glue for each cork to adhere. So instead I laid a line of glue for each cork. This worked well, and the glue was sufficient for a strong hold.
When I came to the diagonal bar of the Z, I had to decide whether to lay the corks diagonally or vertically. Again, I dry fitted a few corks to decide. Diagonal it is.
There were spaces where a whole cork wouldn’t fit. I used a serrated knife to cut a cross section of a cork to fit into a smaller space.
Once I was finished gluing the corks, I adjusted a few to make sure they were in the exact best position. Then I set the Z aside to dry. Not bad for a 20 minute project!