I have a cork-monogrammed R on top of my refrigerator, and I always get compliments on it. When my friend Jackie K. admired it, I knew I had to make one for her. Cork projects aren’t difficult to do — after all, who minds collecting corks?! — but certain materials make the job easier. Read the rest of this entry
Last year, I bought a cheap, cheap side table for my patio — I think it was under $6. The glass top was painted a pretty blue on its underside, but over time, the paint had almost completely peeled away. Not a good look!
I scraped and scraped to remove the remaining paint, but there were a couple areas that were attached with rivets, and I couldn’t get under the rivets to get rid of the little patches of blue. This was not a good look either!
Knowing I had little to lose, I looked in my craft stash for colorful paper, intending to decoupage it onto the underside of the glass. I found a bright floral tissue paper that I hoped would serve to camouflage the unwanted blue specks. Fortunately, I also had some outdoor ModPodge to use as glue.
This photo shows the outcome. Up close, it’s definitely flawed, but I figure few people will be examining it carefully. I think it lends a nice plop of color to an otherwise boring section of my backyard. Score one for me!
Yes, the title of this post is a little misleading. Most of the items on my Easter dining table came directly from my springtime storage tub.
I had the table runner, white porcelain bunnies,
pink Easter grass, the white eggs, white dishes, and the pink paper plate I stationed between the plate and bowl.I used some green polka-dotted washi tape to make the “placecards,”
and spent $3.04 on pink striped scrapbook paper which serves as the placemats.
I love how this looks in my garden, but the making of the corked garden sphere was a pain in the neck! I harvested from my cork collection (how did it get so large?!) and glued the corks on to a cheap, round light fixture.
I used a tube of clear silicone to do the attaching.
The gluing wasn’t difficult, but it was frustrating and time consuming. Each cork threw the sphere off balance, so I had to adjust the sphere routinely in order to keep the topmost area free for a new cork or two.
Then I had to let the silicone set before I could readjust and add more. Patience is not my strong suit, but I found I could add a few corks, read a little, add a few more corks, clean a little, add a few more corks, cook a little, …. You get the idea! I’m very please with the final outcome.
Dan the Man and I were having a couple of great friends over for dinner, and because the weather was so nice, I decided we should eat outside. We weren’t planning to have a fancy formal table on the patio, but I wanted to dress it up a little.
First, a trip to Hobby Lobby. I bought blue patterned scrapbook paper and bandanas. The paper served as placemats, and the bandanas were our napkins.
For just about $5, I had an easy table setting perfect for the patio.
Cheap and easy!
Dan the Man and I have been in the midst of having our leaky master bathroom shower replaced. If we ever survive all the construction dust, I know we’ll enjoy the new spot. The end is in sight, so I’m beginning to work on the layers of brown gunk over every surface. First stop, silk plants. Today I used a cleaning hack I learned from an interior designer — Lysol disinfecting spray. Read the rest of this entry