Usually when I write about my crapsmanship, I’m describing my efforts to make things look better. Not this time! I should have stopped while I was ahead as I worked on this picture of a pot of spring flowers. Read the rest of this entry
More Mardi Gras art went on at my house last week. As I often do, I’m changing out some of my seasonal art for more crapsmanship of my own. This one was easy. I first used purple and gold Distress inks to color an 11×14″ piece of mixed media paper. I sprayed it with water to meld the colors and then allowed it to dry.
Next, I pounced green and yellow acrylic paint over some stencils to fill the page with Mardi Gras colors.
Finally, I used a stencil to add a gold embellishment. While I was at it, I did a smaller one with a fleur-de-lis.
No one will ever accuse me of being an artist, but I do like having a little seasonal color. Not bad for an amateur!
For Christmas, I was thrilled to receive three new crafting supplies — a set of 8 Posca pens, 48 oil pastels crayons (such pretty colors!), and a 12″ x 14″ Gelli Plate (be still my heart!). Experimenting with the new Gelli plate, I made six large sheets with acrylic paints, masks, and stamps. Two of the sheets were completed using mixed media paper, and four of them were made with Dan the Man’s baking parchment paper. They’re all about 11″ x 14″.
I decided to temporarily replace a five-year old photo of my grandkids with a mixed media piece of a fall pumpkin. The grandkids have grown so much, but I can’t say my art skills have! I started with a 11×17″ sheet of mixed media paper, some ecru tissue paper, and scraps of other tan-colored papers. I ModPodged these down to form a random brownish background for my pumpkin.
I then added some details to the background using stamps and black ink (though I neglected to take a picture of this).
My next step was to sketch a pumpkin onto another sheet of paper.
I cut it into sections and used these sections as templates to reproduce the shapes on orange and patterned scrapbook paper.
I decided the center piece was too white, so I scribbled on some orange Distress Crayon and smeared it all over with a baby wipe.
To add some depth to the pumpkin sections, I used a brown Distress Crayon to edge each piece and smear the crayon marks with another baby wipe.
Now that the pumpkin part was finalized, I prepared it for ModPodging onto the background sheet.
Now came the hard part. I played and played with green stems and leaves to get them just right.
I continued to add leaves and tweak their appearance until I was happy with the effect. I added some depth to both the leaves and the stem with brown and green Distress Crayons, a white GelliRoll pen, and a black Posca pen.
I added a few more stamped images, framed it, and have it proudly displayed in a place of honor in my living room. I’m already working on the Christmas picture that will replace it!
Last week, I posted about the artist trading cards I was making for a crafts conference I’m going to in Dallas. Though I’ve thrown away a few of my most crappy, here are a few more that remain in my stack.
Hope you like ’em!
Last week, I told you about the underpainting I did that was full of color. Remember this? Read the rest of this entry
My inspiration for this project came from one of my favorite crafting magazines and websites — Cloth Paper Scissors. In this blog post (http://www.clothpaperscissors.com/blog/perfect-mothers-day-art-project/), the author writes about a process called “negative painting.” With this technique, you start with a colorful background and then use a solid color to paint around the objects you want to show rather than by painting the objects itself. Read the rest of this entry
I’m back to blogging after a restorative long weekend with girlfriends in Hot Springs, AR. It’s amazing what good friends, a little wine, a few adventures, and lots of laughter can do! Today’s post shares how friends Martha, Kathy, and I started with old road maps, acrylic paints, and Gelli Plates to create crap art, and how we used creativity and other products to turn our crapsmanship into craftsmanship. Read the rest of this entry
For the last week or so, I’ve been experimenting with a few techniques for making Valentine’s Day cards. Coincidentally, I’ve had to send out both a get well card and a condolence card, and I’ve used my newly-created cards for those purposes too. Read the rest of this entry
I am extremely fortunate to have a group of eight of us who have known each other at least since high school. (Carol and I just celebrated our 60th year of friendship; we’ve known each other since kindergarten!) We call ourselves the HaHa’s because we laugh so much when we’re together. This weekend, we had our annual holiday cookie exchange. The event has evolved over the years — we now bring frozen dough so we can each bake what we want when we want. In addition to our dough exchange and lots of laughter, we might have stuffed ourselves with good food and wine. I’m not confessing to anything! Read the rest of this entry